FOR THE WALNUT MEAT (makes 2 1/2 cups):
- 2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: 1 cup cooked green lentils! (If I'm cooking for my man or I'm really hungry, I add these)
FOR THE TOPPINGS/WRAPS:
- 2 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I like to use 1 red, 1 yellow)
- 1/2-1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Diced tomatoes or salsa (Trader Joe's Cowboy Caviar is DELICIOUS with this recipe and has black beans, corn and chipotle peppers in it. Or use your favorite salsa!)
- 2-3 green onions chopped
- lettuce wraps (large romaine, Iceburg, or Butter lettuce leaves)
- Other topping options: homemade guacamole (I'll share my recipe one day!), hot sauce, lime
FOR THE CASHEW SOUR CREAM (*Requires earlier prep!)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups of water, then 1/2 cup water
- Juice from half a fresh lemon
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- Toast the walnuts: Preheat oven to 300F. Add walnuts onto a rimmed baking sheet and toast for 10-13 minutes, watching closely, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Saute the pepper + onion filling: Add 1/2-1 tablespoon of coconut oil into a large skillet. Saute the onion and peppers over medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir frequently until onions are translucent and peppers soft & slightly bruised.
- Prepare the Taco Meat: In a medium to large bowl, combine the toasted walnuts, oil, chili powder, cumin, salt and cayenne pepper. Chop and mix until coated well. If you want to add more substance, stir in & mash 1 cup of cooked green lentils! If you add in the lentils, you may need to add a bit more olive oil and up to 2 tablespoons of water.
- Prepare Cashew Sour Cream:
- In a bowl, pour boiling water over the cashews until covered and let soak for 2 hours. (Or make the night before! Just soak cashew in water overnight...I usually forget the night before and boiling the water speeds up the process)
- Drain the cashew and transfer to a high speed blender. Add 1/2 cup of water and blend on high speed until smooth. If needed, add more water.
- Add the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, and salt and blend on high until well incorporated and smooth.
- Assemble your tacos! Place a lettuce leaf onto your plate, add taco meat, sauteed peppers + onion, and salsa, guacamole, cashew sour cream, hot sauce, and a sprinkle of green onions.
- Take a big, messy bite and enjoy!!! Make as many as you want then save the leftovers for a taco salad lunch the next day.
Leave a comment and let me know if you give the recipe a try! Play with it, add something new-- there are so many ways to make an awesome taco!